Old House Issues
Why is Asbestos considered a hazard in homes?
Asbestos is a naturally fibrous material and has been used for about 150 years on a large scale. It is ideal as a fire-proofing and insulation material. But it can be deadly! If asbestos fibers are inhaled, they can become lodged in the chest and natural body defenses cannot easily break them down. Generally, asbestos is only a risk if disturbed or damaged.
Asbestos was used in hundreds of different products and buildings from the prior to the 1980’s. Any building that was constructed or had major renovation prior to the 1980’s could contain some type of asbestos. This type of environmental hazard is not part of a standard home inspection.
Why is Lead considered a hazard in homes?
Lead is a highly toxic metal that was used for years in products found in and around old houses. The older the home is the more likely it is to have lead-based paint. If your home was built before 1978, there is a good chance it has lead-based paint. The most common sources of household lead are paint, dust, and drinking water.
Children 6 years and younger are most susceptible to the effects of lead. Lead can result in serious effects to a pregnant woman and her developing fetus. Other adults can suffer from cardiovascular problems and decreased kidney function. If you are having home renovation, repairs, or painting done, make sure your contractor is Lead-Safe Certified. This type of environmental hazard is not part of a standard home inspection.
Questions? Just Ask!