Why is Lead Considered Hazardous?
Lead is a highly toxic metal that was used for years in products found in and around old houses. The older the home is the more likely it is to have lead-based paint. If your home was built before 1978, there is a good chance it has lead-based paint. The most common sources of household lead are paint, dust, and drinking water.
Children 6 years and younger are most susceptible to the effects of lead. Lead can result in serious effects to a pregnant woman and her developing fetus. Other adults can suffer from cardiovascular problems and decreased kidney function. If you are having home renovation, repairs, or painting done, make sure your contractor is Lead-Safe Certified. This type of environmental hazard is not part of a standard home inspection.